Goals

I recently posted a picture on a Facebook group and received a lot of backlash.  The members of the group said that the image and message were more hurtful to women than helpful.  I posted the picture to help inspire and motivate.  The result instead was negative focusing on the image itself, and I quote "physically anatomically to attain, probably photo shopped, unrealistic".  They focused on particular words such as "skinny".  They argued that you should be happy with yourself no matter what size & that there were unfit healthy people.  "Unfit healthy people", now that's an oxymoron!  They missed the overall message.  What I read was that it was ok to laugh at yourself in class, push yourself, love yourself, working out when you don't want to, make better healthy eating choices, doing it over and over again - for life.  What's wrong with that? 

Yes, I know there are unhealthy images of women that are portrayed in the media, but I think we can all agree that having a goal of a fitter, healthier you is achievable.  And obviously, there are extremes of everything - people who will take it to an obsession.  But why focus on that, should there always be a disclaimer that there will always be extremes?   Not everyone is meant to be a size 2, but why is it harmful to have a goal in the first place.  You should not be ok with an unhealthy version of you - ever.  I want people to realize that no matter what size, age, disability, genetics, etc. your current fitness stage is at, you CAN be healthier & fitter.  It is NOT impossible.  But it won't happen without a lot of hard work and better decision making

I chose to remove the picture from the group page because it was becoming ridiculous with the silly points that we should all hate these type of images.  In my opinion, I may never look like this, but I will not hate another woman's dedication to herself.

 
Grace Martinez
Run 2 Be Fit
www.run2befit.com

Comments