Heroes Half Recap






I ran the Heroes Half Marathon in Everett, WA yesterday.  My first Half since last November.  The course is fairly flat except for a few off/on ramp bridge hills.  I did well and was on a great pace up until mile 8 or so.  The wind was brutal.  It felt so much harder to push/move forward.  Just imagine running up a hill with the wind blowing against you.  Not fun.  I allowed myself to walk a few times & actually felt renewed.  I will not be using RunKeeper in future distance races.  My phone died towards the end.  But maybe it's a good thing that I don't know for sure my end time.


We had a booth at the event and had to help man it.  Afterwards, we went to lunch.  I wish I had a foam roller!  That would have helped release the stress in my legs.  I went home and napped.  I felt better and decided that I had enough energy to play an indoor soccer game.  It wasn't too bad.  I wasn't at my best or fastest.  Afterwards my knees hurt.  I decided not to risk an injury and didn't go to my outdoor soccer game.  I know it probably sounds a little crazy to play and indoor soccer game after running a half!

I'm glad that I ran the race.  That I allowed myself to relax and enjoy the route.  I thanked God for giving me the ability to be able to run while I was running.  At the end, I embraced the wind & held my hands out to feel it.  All in all, it was a good run.  One foot in front of the other & I left my "angry runner" tendencies behind.

Today, I feel sore.  But I have three classes to teach.  Fake it, till you make it!  Wish me luck.

Grace Martinez
Run 2 Be Fit
www.run2befit.com

Comments