Seahawks 12k, my comeback race

I was super nervous before the race.  It wasn't the running that made me nervous, but the race itself.  I was worried about getting to the race in time.  I always go to the restroom one last time before any of my races.  There have been a few times that I've raced, where I didn't calculate correctly and had to use a race course porta-potty (not ideal!).  I had to be dropped off because of the traffic and walked to the starting line. 

I quickly prayed as I crossed the starting line & then walked/jogged with the crowd.  Usually the crowd thins out after a few miles.  But not this time.  It felt like we were elbow-to-elbow the whole time.  I also did not expect the course to have so many hills.  Although it is difficult to avoid hills in this area, I honestly thought I had read that it was a flat, fast course (must have been for the 5k course).  I kept telling myself, "one foot in front of the other" and "stop when you get tired."  I ran the entire course.  Luckily, I always carry my own water.  The water stations were too far apart and badly placed (at the very beginning and at the bottom of a hill).  The course was mainly through a neighborhood, somewhat overlooking the lake.  We did go through the Seahawks training facility, although seeing the outside was not that great. 

I finished strong.  Although there were times, my quads burned due to the hills.  I did not give up.  I told myself that this was the beginning of running FOR ME and not the clock.  I'm not sure what my time ended up being since they had us go in waves.

My 4 year old daughter was eagerly waiting for me to finish so that she could run HER race.  I am so very proud of her and her desire to want to run.  I know I am setting a good example for her and hopefully she will run for the rest of her life because it feels good.

Grace Martinez
Run 2 Be Fit
www.run2befit.com

Comments