My Whole30 Experience

For over a year I had been wanting to commit to the Whole30.  The Whole30 is a good reset program.  You eliminate a lot of food groups but in turn focus on eating proteins, veggies, fruit, and healthy fats.  That's it.  It's not complicated, but it's hard. 

I've had gut issues for as long as I can remember.  I've tried to pinpoint my triggers, but just when I thought I had it figured out, I'd have an episode.  My gut issues were the main reason for wanting to do the Whole30 in the first place.

I eat pretty clean.  But I could always do better.  Eliminating most foods is hard.  Shopping for groceries was hard.  Eating the same things was hard (and boring).

The first week was rough.  I had a headache every day.  I had no energy to do anything.  I no longer looked forward to my meals.  It was hard to continue.  I didn't feel any positive effects from the program. 

Week two was the hardest.  My headaches were getting worse.  I had no energy to exercise.  For someone who makes a living exercising, this is not a good thing.  I was extremely bored with my meals.  I was irritated all the time, I literally just wanted to sleep.

By day 15, I called it quits.  I posted on a Whole30 Facebook group for beginners that I weighed myself.  I weighed myself because I needed to know if I was benefiting from doing this to myself.  There had to be a plus side to all the bad effects of the program.  The admins from the Facebook group ripped me apart and said I needed to start all over.  I told them that I wouldn't.  They were adamant about starting over or not calling the program I was doing Whole30.  To me that was a technicality.  I didn't binge on the no-no's.  The members of the group were supportive.  But every time someone said something positive to me to help me keep going, the admins were quick to remind me to start all over since I broke the rules.  Some people literally have too much time on their hands to monitor my actions.  I'm an adult and can do what I want.  This group left a sour taste in my mouth and I dropped out of the group as a result.

By the way, when I weighed myself I had gained 3 pounds.

There is some chance, that I could have continued had it not been for the experience with the Facebook group.  But I was so mad, so irritated, and just simply done with the program, that I felt I had no other choice but to quit.

The next day, I ate my regular food.  And the next, and the next.  I have not had any gut issues, which I'm thankful for.  I feel energetic and happy.

The Whole30 was not for me.  I do eat less processed, less grains, and more veggies and fruit than I did before.  So, I guess I did learn something!

By:  No Longer Starving

Comments