New beginnings

New month, new goals, new beginnings.  Bonus, it's on a Monday too.  Notoriously the day we all get to reset.

In the last three weeks, I've attempted to make some considerable changes.

This past week, I started researching Ketogenics and doing my best to stay low-carb, low-sugar on most of my meals.  I don't want this to be a quick-fix diet, but rather something I can do for the rest of my life.  I'm incorporating intermittent fasting, which has also helped not overeat.  Sugar is in everything!  I'm shocked by the amount of carbs I thought I was eating and the reality of what I was eating.  Even "healthy" eating can be tweaked.


I've also started to seriously train for my upcoming marathon in July.  It will be my second marathon.  The first marathon was not a good experience - it's been 7 years if that gives you an idea on how traumatic it was.  I'm a certified running coach, so I built my own plan.  I've been able to stick to it pretty constantly and notice the differences, week to week.  I'm getting faster and stronger.  I look forward to my training runs instead of dreading them.  My overall goal is to feel good at the finish line.  Feel like I PREPARED for the race.  Feel like I TRAINED for the endless possibilities.

I also recently became an ambassador for the Seattle Marathon.  It will be my third overall marathon.  I'm looking forward to conquering the course.  I've done the half marathon in the past, and it was brutal.  That was the first half marathon of my life.  Welcome to Seattle!


I also became an ambassador for TEMA Athletics - a local active wear brand.  I LOVE that the clothes are for all bodies.  I especially like that they sent me PINK pants to help represent the brand.  I never wear pink but absolutely love them.  I wore them on a training run the other day, and felt that they didn't move, weren't snug after sweating, breathable, and didn't feel heavy.


On a personal note, my eldest turned 14.  I can barely say that sometimes, without feeling a little teary-eyed.  She is the best thing I've ever done and to see her blossom is fascinating.  She's everything I wished as a kid.  Smart, confident, beautiful, and caring.  She's also decided to do her first half marathon this year!  I'll be doing the Iron Horse Half Marathon with her in August.

I'm also the head coach at track and field for a middle school.  We have won one meet and lost another.  We have two more to go before the finals.  It has been interesting to work with kids and challenge them to build work ethic, train, and have fun while running.  I am very proud of where they started to where they are currently individually and as a team.

Overall, I'm looking forward to the upcoming months.  In particular SUMMER!  So many plans, so many goals, so many opportunities.  I invite you to sign up for a race (hint-hint, Seattle Marathon (half, 10k, and 5k are ok too), treat yourself to some new athletic gear (hint-hint, TEMA) and I can personally train you for these races in a personal or group setting.

www.seattlemarathon.org
www.temaathletics.com

Grace Martinez
Run 2 Be Fit
www.run2befit.com


Comments