The agony of being injured from a running enthusiast.


I had big plans, big plans I say!  Big Sur Marathon was on my bucket list and I was on point with my training, when I got injured.  I play recreational soccer and rolled/sprained my ankle.  Of course, this was the second time I’ve rolled my ankle.  And it was twice as bad.  It took me 3 weeks for the swelling to go down.  Lots of R.I.C.E., some medication, and wallowing in my own self-pity.

My diet went out the window, since I could no longer train.  I justified that I needed wine to make me feel better.  The truth is, it didn’t.  It was a vicious cycle.  There’s nothing like weighing yourself on the scale to bring you back to reality.  No, the scale doesn’t define me.  But it was a good reminder of where I was headed.

I started eating clean again these past few days.  Am I perfect?  No, I’m not.  But now that swelling is gone, I can resume training slowly.  Sure, I could milk it and continue to use my ankle as a crutch.  But I’m honest enough with myself to know that’s dumb.  I still feel that Big Sur is attainable – it’s a once-in-a-lifetime lottery marathon.  I need to at least try.  If it hurts, I’ll stop.  If luck is on my side, I’ll miraculously be completely healed and ready to go.  But I’m ok if I just attempt it.

Which brings me to today.  I ran yesterday.  Not fast, but not in pain.  I put Rocktape on my ankle in hopes of continuing to train.  Since it’s on the Internet, it must be true, right? 
Moral of the story, I’ve had so many setbacks in life.  It’s so much easier just to just throw in the towel.  But I fear that the 3 pairs of eyes that are the center of my world will be watching.  What I say is important, but what I do is much more important.  I can’t let my 3 daughters see that quitting is an option.  I must be the example.

It’s been rough to not run.  My passion/job is all about running.  My daily life involves running in one shape or form.  Unfortunately, me taking a break from running impacts my livelihood.

I “officially” quit soccer.  Not that I was ever going to the Olympics, but it was hard to make the decision.  And trust me, it’s not going to be easy to not want to play again.  But beyond, Big Sur, I have so many other races, relays, obstacle course races, and adding hiking.  Lots and lots of hiking!  Being injured will impact so much more than just me being able to run in one race.

I hope to write more about my accomplishments this year (both personally and with the community of women I’m happily a part of).  Never, ever take your health/fitness for granted!  Don’t let a day go by where you don’t go outside.  Breathe in the fresh air, hike that trail, run that path, and best of all do it with new/old friends.  See you out on the trails soon!

Comments